[Borgbackup] How often do you run "borg check"?

Heinz Werner Kramski-Grote kramski at hoernle-marbach.de
Thu Feb 21 14:16:13 EST 2019

I'm currently setting up a Helios4[1] box as my private backup server following the great deployment chapter[2]. The server eventually will be located at a friends home, which I'm temporarily simulating with "--remote-ratelimit 3125".

I'm using borgmatic[3] as a declarative wrapper. Borgmatic's default is to check each repository and each archive on every "create" run, which turns out to be extremely time consuming (minimal backup only: 14 minutes, backup and default consistency checks: 7 hours).

How often do you check your repos and archives? Will once a week be ok, assuming that backup runs take place once a day?

Thanks for advice,
   Heinz

[1] https://kobol.io/helios4/
[2] https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/deployment.html