[Borgbackup] Central backup and ~/.cache/borg/ piling up

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Sun Aug 30 07:48:36 EDT 2020

Thanks Jean-Yves and Thomas, for your prompt replies and valuable input.

Jean-Yves, I've combined the thread again here.

Am Samstag, 29. August 2020, 16:32:40 CEST schrieb Thomas Waldmann:
> >                        Original size      Compressed size    Deduplicated
> >                        size
> >
> > This archive:              125.78 GB            112.63 GB
> > 43.12 MB All archives:              144.81 TB            112.34 TB
> >       6.46 TB
> That looks like you have > 1000 backup archives.

Not exactly:
$ borg list | wc -l
196

> The chunks.archive.d cache is O(archive count * archive size) big, so if
> that is getting too big, just reduce the archive count via "borg prune".

I'm pruning as part of every backup.

Guess, the sheer amount is due to many vm images and some such.

This is going to strive towards some prune implied limit, sure, but those 20G
already caused me some headaches on certain systems and will slowly raise
still (due to monthly retentions).

Jean-Yves wrote:
> So, IF my doc interpretation's correct, you lose dozens of time whatever
> you hope to gain using --no-cache-sync, namely time and network
> availability.

You probably right.

May I respectfully ask for some further discussion of --no-files-cache and --
no-cache-sync in order to estimate:
 * chances of reduction of local disk space
 * expected increase of network load and runtime
 * probability increase of hazardous effects

if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Pete