[Borgbackup] borg check - Failed to create/acquire the lock

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Thu Aug 11 07:15:25 EDT 2022

> sudo borg check /path_to_repo

You always run borg that way? as root and using sudo from the same user?

You should always run it the same way, otherwise you are causing a
permissions mixup (and also potentially using different cache/config dirs).

> Getting error: Failed to create/acquire the lock

That can happen if a borg run crashed (due to a bug, power outage, kill
-9, disk unplugged, ...). The lock is inside your repo directory.

> Have restarted the host. There are no other borg operations running and
> I haven’t yet tried to use borg with-lock myself

"with-lock" is for something else (see docs).

But "borg break-lock" (see docs!) is the command that can fix this.