[capi-sig] Unit tests of C functions with Python

Anouar Lachheb anouar.lachheb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 18:51:52 CEST 2007

Hi,

We have developed a C project and we want to write unit test for it. I used
a sample VC++ project with Python using swig (to wrap a ".i" file).
My C functions has a return value and formal parameters could be pointers or
scalars, I need to pass some of them by reference to get the value back.

Here's an example of a function of mine (functional test OK):
S32 CALENDAR_RequestHandlerFunction (U32 U32RequestID, void* pArg1, void*
pArg2, void* pArg3);

pArg1 or pArg2 or pArg3 could point to anything and could be IN or OUT.

I imported "ctypes" module in my "test.py" file, but Python complain from
"pArg1" saying: "TypeError: in method CALENDAR_RequestHandlerFunction',
argument 2 of type 'void *'

Notice that I used the same proto in my ".i" file.

Any help to test C functions using Python and avoid C types problems?

Thank you.

Best regards,
AnL.