[capi-sig] An unexpected visit_decref assertion violation (code works with 2.4, not with 2.5)

Joe Ardent jardent at ilm.com
Thu Apr 30 21:30:50 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have a Python module here that takes a bunch of C++ classes, and turns
them into Python classes.  When built against and loaded into Python
2.4, everything is fine.  But when built against and loaded into Python
2.5, I get an assert violation from Python's gc module.  Here is the
code that is failing:

     klass = PyClass_New(bases, classDict, className);
     if (klass && methods) {
         /* add methods to class */
         for (def = methods; def->ml_name != NULL; def++) {
             printf( "IlmPyClass: %d, def = %s\n", __LINE__, def->ml_name);

             PyObject *func = IlmPyClass_NewFunction(def);
             if (!func) {
                 Py_XDECREF(klass);
                 return NULL;
             }
             printf( "We get here\n" );
             func = PyMethod_New(func, NULL, klass); //this line fails
             printf( "We don't get here\n" );
             # .......
         }
     }

The output of 'python2.5 -c "import mymod"' is:

"""
[.... snip a bunch of "we get here, we don't get here" etc. as things
fail to fail...]
IlmPyClass: 197, def = __init__
We get here
python2: Modules/gcmodule.c:276: visit_decref: Assertion `gc->gc.gc_refs
!= 0' failed.

Abort
"""

The obvious things, such as Py_INCREFing klass or func, do not work.

What's extra strange, in addition to this code working fine in an
earlier python version, is that this code works fine for most of the
classes that are instantiated.

What I really want to do, though, is see what exactly is being decref'd.
  Does anyone have any tips for doing this?  I've already tried using a
debug build of Python; it doesn't seem to provide that type of ref
tracing.  Thanks in advance for any tips or insights.

--
Joe Ardent