[Catalog-sig] UI for managing catalog

Thu, 16 Nov 2000 20:43:03 +0100

> > 2) Submit a URL from which the distribution can be downloaded.  A
> > script will then fetch it, extract setup.py, and everything follows as
> > before.
>
> Is this added complexity (for us) worth having?

I'd think so, yes. Developers are often proud of their software, so
they want it to be located on their home page. They will go through
the effort of registering it with the catalog, but they are less
inclined to place the distribution into multiple locations -
especially when internet bandwidth gets in the way.

I know that I was cursing internet bandwidth/SF/US business hours when
I was trying to upload PyXML 0.6.2 this week. It took ages to get it
onto SF, when I really wanted to go home. I had preferred to put it on
a local Web server, and SF fetch it for me.