[Catalog-sig] UI for managing catalog

Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:21:28 +0100

> Of course. By CGI, you probably mean "server side code" rather then
> really CGI. CGI is an evil protocol, and will die soon anyway. Why
> not use a real tool, like Zope?
[...]
> No. FTP is an evil protocol, and will die soon anyway.

You have quite strong opinions on harmless software specifications :-)

I don't think the server-side implementation approach matters at the
moment; I'd rather not make Zope a prerequisite.

As for ftp, I personally consider it much more powerful than http for
file transfer. For example, it has a standard index facility (DIR),
which http doesn't - it is quite a pain to analyse an index.html
automatically.

> No! We don't have to use all of WebDAV, but one thing we could use is
> that in WebDAV, you *can* get a list of all files in a directory. That's
> critical for mirroring.

Ah, mirroring - that's another reason not to mandate Zope, and another
area where ftp does much better than anything else :-)