[Catalog-sig] UI for managing catalog

Moshe Zadka moshez@zadka.site.co.il
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:49:30 +0200

[Moshe]
> No. FTP is an evil protocol, and will die soon anyway.

[Martin v. Loewis]
> You have quite strong opinions on harmless software specifications :-)

Ummmm....harmless? FTP mixes OSI levels. Where I come from, it's a shooting
offense. Frequently, the trial can be skipped.

[Martin]
> I don't think the server-side implementation approach matters at the
> moment; I'd rather not make Zope a prerequisite.

Did you look at the part where I dissociate searching and grabbing packages?

[Martin]
> As for ftp, I personally consider it much more powerful than http for
> file transfer. For example, it has a standard index facility (DIR),
> which http doesn't

WebDAV has.

[Martin]
> - it is quite a pain to analyse an index.html
> automatically.

Luckily, we're not living in the '90s anymore. We have WebDAV. Why not
use it, instead of a brain dead protocol which cannot be made secure,
and will die an anguished death when IPv6 takes over the world?

And anyway, my proposed scheme allows for FTP mirrors (as opposed to
meta-data searchers) as well.

--
Moshe Zadka <sig@zadka.site.co.il>
This is a signature anti-virus.