[Catalog-sig] UI for managing catalog
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 02:45:38 +0200
>Of course. By CGI, you probably mean "server side code" rather then
>really CGI. CGI is an evil protocol, and will die soon anyway. Why
>not use a real tool, like Zope?
> We do not want to require people to install the massive bulk of Zope.
> Ideally I'd like running a package-only mirror to simply require
> running wget or some similar tool; a searchable mirror should simply
> require the additional step of setting up a CGI script and mirroring
> the additional index file(s).
Let me just note, that AFAIK, CPAN requires mod_perl.
But in any case, that is a mute issue, for the time being.
Could you start a list of open questions that we need to answer before
starting to implement something?
Here are some points to think about:
* Registration/package uploading interface
* Mirroring interface
* How to seperate the meta-data from the content -- in the Debian system,
e.g., each node has a complete copy of all meta-data locally. An "update"
operation updates it. Quite likely, the meta-data file will change a lot,
but requiring mirrors to generate it themselves is unrealistic.
* Completing meta-data: among other things, how to specify dependancies
on non-Python packages? (e.g., zlib)
* What format will the packages be in? I recommend specifying *one* *standard*
*format*, and if at all possible, make sure Python 2.1 supports it natively.
* How do we handle collisions between package names/module names? Unlike Perl,
Python has the problem that if there is a module "foo" there cannot be a
module "foo.bar" too.
* Who do we think will host the master archive? (Alternatives: SF, DC...)
Moshe Zadka <email@example.com>
This is a signature anti-virus.
Please stop the spread of signature viruses!