[Catalog-sig] Moving forward

Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:10:10 -0400

Now that Python 2.1 is out, I think it's time to begin moving the
Catalog-SIG forward again.

To recap where we stand: PEP 241 made it into Python 2.1.  PEP 243
didn't, but I don't know if there are any further changes that need to
go into it.

We have two server prototypes: Amos's, and Sean's.  (BTW, Sean, I'd
like to link to it from the SIG's status page, but can't figure out a
URL for the prototype.)

I'm planning to wrap up and release version 1.0.2 of the Distutils,
and then try to chew through the feature requests and other patches
that have accumulated on SourceForge, so they can be in the next
Distutils release.  (1.1, 1.0.3, whatever.)

So, what now?  The only things I can really think of are:

* Look at PEP 243 and finish off the specification.  (Or is it done?)

* The prototypes need to begin evolving toward being
  production-usable.

What else should we be doing?

--amk