[Catalog-sig] My proof-of-concept package manager

Jason Petrone jpetrone@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:27:00 -0500

A while ago I wrote a python package manager inspired by my 2 favorite package
systems: Debian's apt, and Open/FreeBSD's ports.

I vaguely remember stopping work on it because I ran into some major problem,
but now I forget what that was, and it seems to work well enough to ask for
some feedback.

Download at: http://www.demonseed.net/~jp/code/pkgutils-0.1a.tar.gz

A couple key features:
  o No central package archive.  This is my favorite part of ports.  If one
    exists later on, it will still work, but this allows it to be useful
    *right now*.

  o Supports other install methods besides distutils.  Yea, I love distutils,
    but not everyone uses it, and I'm not going to build a distutils package
    if my module is only a single .py file.

  o Handles extraction from zip/tar/tgz

  o Attempts to do very basic management of local packages.  Including
    versioning based on __version__ tags and file creation dates.  Removal
    should be supported later on as well.

I'd like to hear what you think.  I'm getting tired of managing all my python
modules by hand!

--
Jason