[Catalog-sig] [Announce] Distutils Catalog Prototype

Rene Liebscher R.Liebscher@gmx.de
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:27:27 +0100

Amos Latteier wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I finally got off my butt and built a distutils catalog prototype. Now
> for a limited time you can get to it at
>
>   http://63.230.174.230:8080/
>
> This is a Zope site that allows you to upload distutils archives and
> search them. I added a basic HTML and XML interface. The XML interface
> should be used by command-line clients. The user name and password for
> uploading are both 'guest'. I am going to remove this account in a
> couple days since it is fundamentally insecure. I mostly want to post
> this now so folks can see what I'm doing. If you want to play with the
> prototype more, get Zope 2.3 and install the
> DistutilsArchive20010226.tgz file.
>
> I've preloaded the site with one archive (distutils 1.0.1). Try out the
> site by uploading your own archives. If the site can't parse them take a
> look in Parse.py and figure out what the problem is and send me a patch.
>
> Issues
>
>   * Executing setup.py to find meta-data is insecure. Plus I've found
> that many existing distutils archives don't actually expose the
> meta-data very well this way. I propose that we fix this by having
> distutils write a meta-data file when you build an archive.

I tried to upload PyOpenGL and got the following result:
Zope Error

             Zope has encountered an error while publishing this
resource.

             Error Type: ImportError
             Error Value: No module named my_install_data

Traceback (innermost last):
  File /home/amos/DistSite/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 223,
in publish_module
  File /home/amos/DistSite/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 187,
in publish
  File /home/amos/DistSite/lib/python/Zope/__init__.py, line 221, in
zpublisher_exception_hook
  File /home/amos/DistSite/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 171,
in publish
  File /home/amos/DistSite/lib/python/ZPublisher/mapply.py, line 160, in
mapply
    (Object: addMethod)
  File /home/amos/DistSite/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py, line 112,
in call_object
    (Object: addMethod)
  File
/home/amos/DistSite/lib/python/Products/DistutilsArchive/Archive.py,
line 25, in addMethod
  File
/home/amos/DistSite/lib/python/Products/DistutilsArchive/Archive.py,
line 84, in update
    (Object: RoleManager)
  File
/home/amos/DistSite/lib/python/Products/DistutilsArchive/Parse.py, line
69, in parse_meta_data
  File /usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/distutils/core.py, line
209, in run_setup
  File /var/tmp/@11671.4/PyOpenGL-1.5.6/setup.py, line 16, in ?
ImportError: (see above)

PyOpenGL uses an external module to install its data.
(It is imported but not used if you don't execute an install command.)

If your system doesn't unpack all files before executing setup.py it
will fail for
all packages which import other python files in their setup.py.
(And I think there are many such packages.)

Kind regards
Rene Liebscher