[Catalog-sig] The KISS principle [ Re: CPAN functionality for python - requirements ]

Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:26:49 -0500

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 08:50:03AM -0800, Robin Dunn wrote:
>IMHO we should start with something simple that allows for some of the
>ultimate goals, and that can be built upon later to get to more of the
>goals.

Indeed. 75% of the module-related questions on comp.lang.python are
"does a module to do X exist?", not "What are the dependencies for
module X?".  Encouraging people just to register their software is
half the battle; not everyone adds their software to VoP, but
practically every Perl module author is represented in CPAN.

Dependencies are complicated and frankly, a solution could be very
useful without even attempting to solve that problem.

--amk