[Catalog-sig] RFC: PEP 243: Module Repository Upload Mechanism

Amos Latteier amos@digicool.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:13:08 -0800

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> Here is PEP 243, discussing how to make Distutils submit .tar.gz
> packages (and the like) to the mythical catalog server.  I've got code for
> this prototyped, but give me a couple of days to make it completely
> PEP-compliant.

First off, I think it may be too early to draft this PEP. It may make
more sense to wait until we have one or more catalog prototypes
available.

I think that most folks agree that eventually the catalog and distutils
should be integrated to allow you to upload your archive as easily as
possible. However, I think that if this is going to be formalized as a
PEP (rather than evolved as we work with catalog servers) then we should
spell out some requirements and use cases.

>     The upload will be made to the host "modules.python.org" on port
>     80/tcp.

Was the name of the catalog server decided at the conference? Did we
decide who's in charge of it, etc?

>         pkginfo -- The file containing the distribution meta-data (as
>         specified in PEP-241 [1]).

For source packages this can be extracted from the archive.

>         platform (optional) -- A string representing the target
>         platform for this distribution.  This is only for binary
>         distributions.  It is encoded as
>         "<os_name>-<os_version>-<platform architecture>".

Why not just use the platform meta-data? I see no need for two different
and incompatible ways to specify platform information.

>         signature (optional) -- A GPG signature of the uploaded
>         distribution as signed by the author.  This may be used by the
>         cataloging system to automate acceptance of uploads.

It might also be used by human downloaders.

> Status
>
>     I currently have a proof-of-concept client and server implemented.
>     I plan to have the Distutils patches ready for the 2.1 release.
>     Combined with Andrew's PEP-241 [1] for specifying distribution
>     meta-data, I hope to have a platform which will allow us to gather
>     real-world data for finalizing the catalog system for the 2.2
>     release.

I'd like to talk to you about the catalog server. I have built several
prototypes myself, and I'd love to talk with you more about the project.

-Amos

--
Amos Latteier         mailto:amos@digicool.com
Digital Creations     http://www.digicool.com