[Catalog-sig] RFC: PEP 243: Module Repository Upload Mechanism

Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:55:57 -0500

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 04:13:08PM -0800, Amos Latteier wrote:
>>         platform (optional) -- A string representing the target
>>         platform for this distribution.  This is only for binary
>>         distributions.  It is encoded as
>>         "<os_name>-<os_version>-<platform architecture>".
>
>Why not just use the platform meta-data? I see no need for two different
>and incompatible ways to specify platform information.

The developer, at least according to PEP 241 as it currently stands,
can only provide high-level platform info, not low-level details like
OS versions or CPU, and they may not need to do so at all.

I do want to get BDFL go-ahead before checking in any PEP 243 changes,
though, and if Guido says no, that would settle it.  PEP 241 is a
must-have for 2.1, IMHO, and he assented to it at IPC9, but 243 is
more of a "wouldn't it be nice if...", and if that's considered too
risky for 2.1b2, that's fine with me.

--amk