[Catalog-sig] Re: [Distutils] RFC: PEP 243: Module Repository Upload Mechanism

John J. Lee phrxy@csv.warwick.ac.uk
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:00:43 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> "Moore, Paul" wrote:
[...]
> > Why GPG? Is that available on all platforms? Could PGP signatures be used
> > for people on Windows (for example), who probably don't have GPG?
>
> I'd say go with PGP -- it is far more available and known than
> GPG... after all the intent of a signature is for the people
[...]

As has been pointed out already, the idea was for signatures to be gpg
*readable*.  I think this includes all pgp signatures.  There is an IDEA
module if that's important for signatures (can't remember), and of course
RSA, which is now free.

John