[Catalog-sig] RFC: PEP 243: Module Repository Upload Mechanism

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:09:47 -0700

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 05:03:40PM -0800, Amos Latteier wrote:
>This is an example of how the implemention of the catalog server may
>have a bearing on how we want the distutils integration to work. I can
>think of some other details that might make a difference, for example,
>does the catalog sever prefer FTP or HTTP communication?

Currently, I am using HTTP exclusively for communication with the catalog
server, but I expect that FTP or HTTP will be usable for downloading the
actual files.  Doing catalog searches and other of those sorts of lookups
I've been doing via HTTP...

>> >Why not just use the platform meta-data? I see no need for two different
>> >and incompatible ways to specify platform information.
>>
>> Sorry, what platform meta-data are you speaking of?
>
>Um, the one in PKG_INFO (PEP 241). Maybe you have something else in
>mind.

Ahh, that's a new field since the copy of 241 I reviewed.  The problem is
that PEP241 doesn't specify the actual contents of that field, so I guess
what I'll do is specify it in 243?  Does that make sense?

>Cool, I'll check it out. Right now I'm working on a catalog server in
>Zope. I have lots of different ideas, so I'd love to see what you've
>done. I'll try to make my prototype available in a couple days.

Excellent.

Sean
--
 Home is where your source is.  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1999
Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo@tummy.com>