[Catalog-sig] RFC: PEP 243: Module Repository Upload Mechanism

Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:21:43 +0200

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 07:40:00PM +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> >I'm not sure I understand the question. The Python core enables or
> >disables large file API usage at configuration time, by calling
> >ftell64 instead of ftell, or using long objects to represent inode
>
> You almost make it sound like autoconf is obsolete...  The point I took
> Moshe to be making was that in a conditional-compilation world, there's
> some data that simply looking at the OS name and rev isn't going to pick
> up.

Maybe I lost track: I thought we are talking about binary
packages. When you have a binary package, it is already tailored for a
specific system, so there is no need to detect capabilities at
installation time.

autoconf is for configuring source packages, in particular for systems
that you've never heard of - and which might still be supported (in
source form) thanks to feature tests. In a world of dying Unix
variants (and the remaing Unix variants following standards more
closely), it is becoming more and more obsolete, yes.