[Catalog-sig] metadata schema

Roman Suzi rnd@onego.ru
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:21:53 +0400 (MSD)

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:

>attached is a xml schema for metadata. based loosely
>off osd, xsa and debian's control files. i stayed away
>from using namespaces for simplicity.

Last evening I was thinking about Catalog. It occured to me, that there
probably must be clear mathematical model of the Catalog.
It will give hard-to-beat informational and algorithmic
model almost automatically.

I know, that Catalog effort is lagging because of over-design (and that is
the reason why it is not quite there yet) but still this is very needed to
design it right.

I am sure that somewhere someone wrote nice dissertation on the topic of
storing and retrieving interdependent components (and probably on the
description of these data).

Software components aren't standing still. They fork, merge, split into
parts, join together in any proportions, etc., refactor in any thinkable
way.

And this data needs to be got based on the descriptions authors of the
components write (because who else will do it) for individual versions of
components.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd@onego.ru _/
_/ Tuesday, September 25, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/