[Catalog-sig] metadata schema

Kapil Thangavelu k_vertigo@yahoo.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 01:51:28 -0700 (PDT)

--- Roman Suzi <rnd@onego.ru> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
>
> >attached is a xml schema for metadata. based
> loosely
> >off osd, xsa and debian's control files. i stayed
> away
> >from using namespaces for simplicity.
>
> Last evening I was thinking about Catalog. It
> occured to me, that there
> probably must be clear mathematical model of the
> Catalog.
> It will give hard-to-beat informational and
> algorithmic
> model almost automatically.
>
> I know, that Catalog effort is lagging because of
> over-design (and that is
> the reason why it is not quite there yet) but still
> this is very needed to
> design it right.

i've kinda given up on designing it right from the get
go, some things need to be tested by fire.

in an attempt to benefit from what others have done
before i've taken a look at alot of real world
implementations of package management and software
catalogs.

here's a sampling-
# package management
Yellow Dog Updater - http://sf.net/projects/yup
Gentoo Linux's Portage - http://www.gentoo.org
Debian's Apt
RPM
OpenACS's APM
OSD

# software catalogs
Sourceforge - http://sf.net/projects/alexandria
CPAN
Freshmeat
UDDI

i had planned on writing this stuff up on a public
wiki but zope.org apparently is transferring all of
its content to a cmf based version in a month...

> I am sure that somewhere someone wrote nice
> dissertation on the topic of
> storing and retrieving interdependent components
> (and probably on the
> description of these data).

actually there's another good parallel besides
software components. the catalog is very much parallel
 to the webservices directory albeit with additional
client implentation and metadata requirements.
http://www.uddi.org

if you find a good dissertation please post a link.

cheers

kapil thangavelu