[Catalog-sig] Re: Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Nov 11)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:18:18 -0800

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 05:43:26PM -0500, Erik Max Francis wrote:
>     Richard Jones proposes PEP 301, detailing some extensions to the
>     Distutils packaging system:
> 	http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0301.html

Hey Richard,

In the PEP, you wrote:

    "The index server will return custom headers (inspired by PEP 243) which
     the register command will use to give feedback to the user:"

It is Not Good to return status in headers like that. The HTTP Status Line
should be used. I said the same thing about PEP 243, but the author of that
PEP blew me off and did not include my commentary in the PEP (which a PEP is
supposed to do: list all commentary and views so that you get the various
angles and don't have to revisit the same crap over and over).

See my post to the distutils-sig:

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2001-March/002262.html

The same commentary applies to PEP 301. If HTTP is to be used as the
transport, then it should be used properly...

(and yah, I'm still cranky at Sean for disregarding how the PEP process is
 supposed to work... especially as PEP 243's design was taken as a given and
 now incorporated into 301; if it *had* included an alternate viewpoint,
 then that could have been reviewed for 301... sigh)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/