[Catalog-sig] Re: Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Nov 11)

Thomas Heller theller@python.net
12 Nov 2002 13:41:38 +0100

Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 05:43:26PM -0500, Erik Max Francis wrote:
> >     Richard Jones proposes PEP 301, detailing some extensions to the
> >     Distutils packaging system:
> > 	http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0301.html
>
> Hey Richard,
>
> In the PEP, you wrote:
>
>     "The index server will return custom headers (inspired by PEP 243) which
>      the register command will use to give feedback to the user:"
>
> It is Not Good to return status in headers like that. The HTTP Status Line
> should be used. I said the same thing about PEP 243, but the author of that
> PEP blew me off and did not include my commentary in the PEP (which a PEP is
> supposed to do: list all commentary and views so that you get the various
> angles and don't have to revisit the same crap over and over).
>
> See my post to the distutils-sig:
>
>   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2001-March/002262.html
>
> The same commentary applies to PEP 301. If HTTP is to be used as the
> transport, then it should be used properly...
>
> (and yah, I'm still cranky at Sean for disregarding how the PEP process is
>  supposed to work... especially as PEP 243's design was taken as a given and
>  now incorporated into 301; if it *had* included an alternate viewpoint,
>  then that could have been reviewed for 301... sigh)

I have a re-implementation of PEP 243 without using non-standard HTTP headers,
you can find a description in one of the recent posts to catalog-sig.

Actually without using any HTTP headers at all in the client code...

How would you set standard HTTP headers in a CGI script?
Or does the server only add them if they are not found in the
CGI output?

Thomas