[Catalog-sig] Withdrawing PEP 262

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
14 Oct 2002 06:27:18 +0200

Chris Liechti <cliechti@gmx.net> writes:

> i use Debian Linux, which has a great package management system too
> and it's very nice when all the dependencies are installed along with
> a python extension. i understand you're exitement.
>
> but... not all systems have a package management system, e.g. on
> windows rules chaos.

That may be true in general, but on Windows, it is not. There is a
database of installed packages, complete with uninstallation etc.

In fact, I'm not aware of any modern system that does not have a
packaging infrastructure.

> i admit that i'm less interested in an installed files database
> (within python) rather than in a good way to download modules from a
> repository.

That's an entire different issue. The catalog system, which causes
this SIG's existence, is still an open problem.

> i think it would be a pythonic solution when that browser would integrate
> with the systems package manager.

I agree, and I think this is Andrew's rationale for withdrawing the
PEP.