[Catalog-sig] Withdrawing PEP 262

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:43:09 +0200

From: "David Ascher" <DavidA@ActiveState.com>
> Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>
> >Chris Liechti <cliechti@gmx.net> writes:
> >

> >>i use Debian Linux, which has a great package management system too
> >>and it's very nice when all the dependencies are installed along with
> >>a python extension. i understand you're exitement.
> >>
> >>but... not all systems have a package management system, e.g. on
> >>windows rules chaos.
> >>

> >That may be true in general, but on Windows, it is not. There is a
> >database of installed packages, complete with uninstallation etc.
Well, it's not really a database, it is just a listing of files and
registry entries which must be removed at uninstallation time.

> In fact what I think is wrong with both Windows and many other systems'
> is that they tend to be  'one-level' systems -- it's hard to define a
> "subsystem" installation.  It'd be nice if every python module installed
> didn't show up in the ever-growing list of programs under Add/Remove
> Programs.  Or are there subtleties to the Windows Installer that I
> haven't heard of?
No, currently not.
It would be possible to change this, but is it really worth the effort?
I've heard some complaints that the python root directory is populated
with these xxx-wininst.log and Removexxx.exe files, but why bother?

Thomas