[Catalog-sig] RFC: pypan - a Python package manager

Andy McKay andy@agmweb.ca
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:56:40 -0700

> > The standard perl way.  A huge amount of energy, a lot of people
actively
> > working together, and a lack of fear of hacks.  CPAN is nothing but a
replicated
> > FTP server w/ a bit of authentication and a lot of library science =).
>
> This history can be instructive.

I think thats part of the problem, the Perl thing started out as something
quite simple. Many of the proposals have been over analysed with far too
many features to the degree that people only get so far before time
pressures or interest drops off. I've seen proposals that want things
available by HTTP, XML-RPC, RSS, FTP, Web Services etc..., and cope with
every different way imaginable of uploading a module.

Although Zope.org may have (many) problems, but its simply a case of making
a tar ball and put some info about it. Sure it doesn't have the automated
installer, but as a simple repository it does a basic job.

While I'm not saying its a good solution, it makes the point that a simple
solution would really help as the first step.
--
  Andy McKay
  www.agmweb.ca