[Catalog-sig] New proposal, with PEP

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
26 Oct 2002 20:37:00 +0200

Richard Jones <rjones@ekit-inc.com> writes:

> Note that I continued on to say that I have not given up. Just that some
> feedback (either positive, negative _or_ ambivalent) would be nice.

Ok, so here's my negative feedback:

Why would anybody want to use such a thing? As long as it contains
only a few dozen packages,  I really don't see a need.

To make it larger, I think it must accommodate a wider range of
packages, not just those that get installed through distutils.  But if
that is the way to go, how is this different from the Vaults, or
Freshmeat? If I were to look for Python packages, I'd look at

http://freshmeat.net/browse/178

Nicely organized by Trove category and all.

> It's not in operation at python.org though, which I see as being
> important to its acceptance. I don't have any control over
> that. Hence the PEP. Ongoing support would be minimal, and I'd be
> gladly putting my hand up to take on that job, assuming I can have
> access to the machine python.org is hosted on.

I'd be happy to install it on python.org, just give me instructions
(in private email).

> 1. the web interface installed on python.org, and either someone there to
>    look after it or access so I can look after it,

I can certainly help here.

> 2. the "register" command included in the next non-patch python
> distribution (ie. 2.3), and

That will be difficult; you need to propose it on python-dev.

For the time being, you should find a means to do without.

> 3. optionally have the distutils metadata expanded to include Trove
>    discriminators

That will be really hard, I guess - people won't see the need to add
this to their setup calls. It would also cause the packages to break
on older distutils installations.