[Catalog-sig] New proposal, with PEP

Richard Jones rjones@ekit-inc.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:34:50 +1100

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:09 am, Laura Creighton wrote:
> I am interested in cataloging software for the ability to add
> metadata; indeed it is only the ability to add metadata that makes
> any extra work worthwhile.

What metadata would you be talking about adding?

> But I wonder if making the register command
> a library function that works with various versions of Python would
> not be a better idea.

Having the "register" command is central to the adoption of the proposal. It
will be made available as a download for people running pre-adoption versions
of Python (ie. currently 2.1 and 2.2 and hopefully not 2.3).

>  Then whenever somebody tried to download
> something from the web interface on python.org the first thing that
> would be checked is 'do you have this library' and if the answer is
> no, then it would first install this library for you and then whatever
> it is that you came here to get.

I'm not sure how this works. Issues of package installation and dependency
have killed so many proposals so far, including PEP 262, that I'm
specifically not addressing them. They can be added later - we just need
something now to start the ball rolling.

> The Python Business Forum is very interested in this software, by the
> way.  Do you want to test it on the Snake Farm?
> http://www.lysator.liu.se/~sfarmer/

Not sure what that buys me since there's nothing to actually build.

    Richard