[Catalog-sig] Questions regarding PyPi usage (user feedback)

Richard Jones richardjones@optushome.com.au
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:09:01 +1000

--Boundary-02=_inRr+MI6RS5flwP

On Monday 28 April 2003 04:13 pm, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
>     * What should the keyword format be?
>           o Comma-separated list of keywords
>           o Nice to have sample on the input page or in a tutorial to
>             give an idea of desired length, format and depth, for
>             instance, here's what I'm planning for PyOpenGL:
>                 +
> 'Graphics,3D,OpenGL,GLU,GLUT,GLE,GLX,WGL,TOGL,EXT,ARB,Mesa'

Undefined. At the moment, you'll get a substring seach based on the terms y=
ou=20
enter in the search page. Nothing has been implemented beyond that. To be=20
honest, I'm not sure the keywords make sense in a classifiers world, but=20
classifiers are too new to just throw out keywords yet. You'll note that=20
"keywords" isn't mentioned in the current development documentation any mor=
e.

To balance this, the list of classifiers is completely under our control.=20
Package authors simply need to ask for new classifiers to be added if they'=
re=20
needed. This is not stated anywhere though, and needs to be... ideas?

> * What should the classifiers format be?
>           o Python list of SourceForge-style classifier strings.

http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/dist/setup-script.html#SECTION000360000=
000000000000

>           o How does one specify this in a .cfg file?
>                 + I assume as a set of multiple key=3Dvalue sets?

I have no idea. I've never used one :)

>     * Boilerplate code for determining download URL for SourceForge?
>           o This seems to be used as "a website from which you can
>             download", rather than a URL to a package which can be
>             downloaded.  Is there another attribute which means e.g.
>             (URL from which to download binary Python 2.2 Win32 package)?
>                 + It would require some internal knowledge of distutils
>                   to determine what the final filename will be for a
>                   particular version, then some code to create the
>                   download URL from that information, and that would be
>                   best done by someone who knows distutils.

The whole issue of download URL is a big question that has yet to be answer=
ed.=20
As far as I'm concerned, the download URL can mean whatever the package=20
author wants it to mean. Until we have some automatic download/install syst=
em=20
in place, that's all it _can_ be.

Mostly the attribute was added in this release so that it was in place and=
=20
pepole started asking questions about it (and hopefully someone finishes of=
f=20
one of the many auto-download/install implementations out there :)

>     * What is the definition of "maintainer" vs. "author" (in PyPi) vs.
>       "packager" (used elsewhere in distutils world IIRC)?
>           o Author -- copyright holder(s)?
>           o Maintainer -- current developers?
>           o Packager -- one who takes source to build binary for
>             package, but is neither author nor maintainer?

See http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/dist/package-index.html in the seco=
nd=20
last paragraph for a description of what Owner and Maintainer mean in PyPI=
=20
land. Definitely quite separate from Author and Packager. Well, I think the=
y=20
are...

>     * How does one test for format and completeness without attempting
>       to register the package?
>           o Is there a scrub-server? A flag to say "just testing"?

Use the "--dry-run" option that most (all?) setup commands support:

   python setup.py register --dry-run

>     * How does one specify Python version for a particular package (i.e.
>       built for Python 2.2, but not 1.5.2)?
>           o You don't.
>     * How does one include a public key signature for a package?
>           o You don't as-of-yet.

These responses are correct.

>     * How does one specify format (e.g. Src .zip, Src .tgz, Binary, Src
>       RPM, etceteras)
>           o You don't.

This is correct, and I'm not sure it's in the scope of PyPI - possibly in t=
he=20
yet-to-be-implemented download/install functionality.

   Richard

ps. it's late, I'm tired, I hope I've answered your questions adequately :)