[Catalog-sig] names vs. releases

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 26 11:06:43 EDT 2003

The current package index lists every release of as a separate item.  If
a look at a set of packages, I will see separate entries for each
release of a package.  I'm keenly aware of this, because I do a lot of
ZODB releases; there are nine different entries with two different names
in pypi.

How hard would it be to collapse the nine ZODB entries into a two
packages, one with eight releases and the other with one?  It seems more
useful to have a single entry for each package, and let users drill down
if they want to see different releases.  I expect most users will just
want the most recent release.

Jeremy