[Catalog-sig] More documentation for setup meta-data

Stuart Bishop stuart.b@commonground.com.au
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:45:58 +1100

On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 02:19  PM, Richard Jones wrote:

> The current layout of the metadata on the release display page is ...
> well,
> it's a slightly refined version of a quick hack. It's the result of
> competing
> interests of getting something out there, and making it look pretty :)

I think it more important getting the docs right for the Python 2.3
release
and before the database gets too polluted. Making pypi render stuff
correctly
can be done whenever someone finds the time to deal with the bug report.

> Unicode hadn't occurred to me. Any thoughts? I don't believe sqlite
> can store
> unicode, but we could probably work around that...

If Unicode is supported, the trick would actually be to make sure that
distutils
and web forms submit the data in the correct encoding. I think adding
a <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
tag to the main template and making distutils do a foo.encode('utf8') on
Unicode strings would be all that is required (and sqllite wouldn't
know the
difference).

--
Stuart Bishop <zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au>