[Catalog-sig] Re: Meeting followup- CPAN for Python?

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Sat Dec 11 16:46:47 CET 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 12:55:12PM +1100, Richard Jones wrote:
> Ah yes - setup.py name != python package name. This has caused confusion --
> some people accidentally submit packages to pypi with *their* name in the
> "name" field of setup.py...
>
> In CPAN (and PAUSE) there's no such disinction, IIRC.

FWIW there is a distinction, the setup.py name (aka distribution name) has
dashes in it, whereas the actual perl package has colons.

    distribution name: XML-RSS
    package namespace: XML::RSS

Not only that, but they need not be the same...especially distributions
which install modules into multiple package namespaces such as in
http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/libnet-1.19/

    distribution name: libnet
    package namespaces: Net::Cmd, Net::Config, Net::Domain, Net::FTP ...

To be honest I don't think there is anything preventing someone from
uploading a CPAN module that installs into a namespace that someone else
(even the perl core distribution)...not that this would be advisable.

//Ed