[Catalog-sig] Which PostgreSQL interface?

Mark W. Alexander slash at dotnetslash.net
Thu Jun 17 15:03:56 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 01:36:59PM -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
> A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> >I've embarked on compiling PostgreSQL on www.python.org, and am
> >wondering which Python interface to use.  I've used Pygresql and have
> >been happy with it, but Richard and Ian, I'd like to know if you have
> >opinions about this.
>
> PyGreSQL is kind of wonky sometimes.  Psycopg seems to be the better
> interface, in my experience.

This was some time ago, but the author of PyGreSQL stated that he did
not use the DB-ABI compatible mode so his support for it was hit & miss
based on contributions.

psycopg, otoh, was written to the DB-API-2.0 spec, with thread-safety in
mind, and transparently supports connection pooling.

I switched to psycopg and haven't looked back (though I'd be interested
in more current experiences with PyGreSQL.)

mwa
--
Mark W. Alexander
slash at dotnetslash.net

The contents of this message authored by Mark W. Alexander are
released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license.
Copyright of quoted materials are retained by the original author(s).