[Catalog-sig] Perhaps "PyPI" will do

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Thu Apr 7 22:48:53 CEST 2005

Hi Richard,

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:11 +1000, Richard Jones wrote:

> After polling around for ideas, and looking at the various alternatives,
> nothing really grabs me. "PyPI" captures the nature of the beast we've
> created well-enough. It's not too silly. It's short. It's in place. I think
> I've decided that it'll do.

FWIW, i liked MOPP aka the ministry quite a bit.  I recommend
taking the discussion to just the core contributors (e.g. on IRC)
and see if you get somewhere.

> It really is only *potentially* confusing when you're in the
> same room as the PyPy people.

I don't mind getting occasionally confused people and pointing
them to a great project.

Btw, we had some hundred postings on c.l.py before we settled
on the name PyPy.  It's a good way to spread the word, though :-)

Another note: it appears that pronouncing pypy/pypi means
"tits" in japanese ... (which we only discovered after the
fact, i swear, it might have changed my opinion).

cheers,

    holger