[Catalog-sig] Perhaps "PyPI" will do

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Apr 12 19:16:26 CEST 2005

Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> On 4/12/05, Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> wrote:
>
>>I think that our problem is that PyPan is _the_ cute, catchy name
>>we want.  But alas, Thomas Heller already has it for his package
>>manager: http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/pypan/
>>
>>But I have no idea how he would feel about giving the name up, and
>>how many people this would inconvenience if he did so.  PiPan seems
>>free, as is PiePan, but I like my 'Pi' with 'Y' :-)
>

> I have to admit that I don't like PyPan or however you spell it.  On
> the whole, I'm tired of names that start with Py.

While I'd generally agree, in this case it's actually a project *about*
Python, not merely written in Python, so it's more justifiable.  Of
course, having python.org in the URL also makes that obvious.

This is, however, turning into one of those bikeshed moments:
http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/faq/16.19.shtml

Is index.python.org the most boring but readable and straight-forward
choice?  It's just like PyPI, but "Py" becomes "python.org", and the
second P kind of disapears, and we expand the I... so it's not a choice
at all, just a respelling of the current name ;)