[Catalog-sig] Perhaps "PyPI" will do

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 21:19:24 CEST 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 2:48 PM, Brant Harris <deadwisdom at gmail.com> wrote:
> index.python.org +2

I think index.python.org is a terrible name.  archive.python.org is
better, by a little bit.

Now that PyPI has both index and archive functions, we should probably
think about whcih we want to emphasize.  If we care about "competing"
with CPAN (which stands for "Comprehensive Perl Archive Network",
never mind that it *could* stand for other things), then the archive
aspect is important and should be emphasized.

I think "index" alone simply doesn't say anything to most users, even
when we're only considering programmers.  "archive" is better because
it suggests things in storage and a way to find them, but I'd be just
as happy to find mailing list archives there.

"packages" may be better, because at least it says what can be found
there.  It doesn't have any glitz, though, and just a little bit of
that would be nice.

  -Fred