[Catalog-sig] Perhaps "PyPI" will do

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Apr 12 22:36:57 CEST 2005

Fred Drake wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2005 2:48 PM, Brant Harris <deadwisdom at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>index.python.org +2
>

> I think index.python.org is a terrible name.  archive.python.org is
> better, by a little bit.

Or you could have both -- archive.python.org as the download site (maybe
easier to set up mirroring with a separate domain name --
download.python.org would be just as good in that respect), maybe
index.python.org as the web frontend (what PyPI has been providing all
along).  Or catalog.python.org, or packages.python.org -- they are all
just fine.  I think they all are reasonably easy to pronounce, aren't
redundant (pypi.python.org would be redundant, and hard to pronounce),
and pretty clear about what (generally) they provide.

It's boring, but I think it's okay if PyPI ultimately comes off as
boring, as long as it works well and is easy to use.  I think a separate
domain name would be nice, though, whatever the domain name might be.
But I really think domain names look more professional when they are
painted blue ;)