[Catalog-sig] Perhaps "PyPI" will do

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Tue Apr 12 23:42:35 CEST 2005

Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> Why do we need a separate domain for this service?  Isn't
> python.org/packages just as good?  It seems to me like doc.python.org
> has been a disaster not worth repeating.  (That is, whenever I do a
> search for Python documentation I can random mirrors and never see
> python.org results.)

agreed ... although it might be useful for the *service* if an alternate
ip were needed. There has been previous suggestion that docs.python.org
would be a good way of isolating the documentation for use with googles
site search facility although this hasn't actually been implemented and
you can achieve the same through using googles allinurl function eg

heres a search for pickle in the 2.4 docs
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Awww.python.org+inurl%3A2%5C.4+intitle%3Apickle

anyway... completely off topic.

Tim