[Catalog-sig] adding trove classifiers?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Dec 30 06:24:04 CET 2005

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:09:04 -0500, Kevin Dangoor <dangoor at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>What specific classifier would you suggest to use?
>>
>>One person on the project suggested:
>>Environment :: TurboGears
>>
>>Another possibility would be:
>>Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: TurboGears
>>

> Suggested additions to go along with this one:
>
>   Environment :: CherryPy
>   Environment :: Django
>   Environment :: JOTWeb
>   Environment :: Karrigell
>   Environment :: Medusa
>   Environment :: Twisted.Web
>   Environment :: Twisted.Web2
>   Environment :: Nevow
>   Environment :: Paste
>   Environment :: Subway
>   Environment :: SnakeSkin
>   Environment :: Zope2
>   Environment :: Zope3
>   Environment :: Five
>   Environment :: Webware
>   Environment :: Wareweb

I strongly agree that we should have classifiers for all the Python
frameworks which have subcomponents.  For smaller things like JOTWeb,
Wareweb, and maybe some of the others, we could potentially wait for
something to appear first, or for someone to ask.  I think there's lots
of pointless categories, so if there's a category that's actually
useful, then that's great and we should add it.  I think the Cheese Shop
can potentially be a registry for whatever... e.g., Environment ::
TurboGears :: Widgets that would just contain widget extensions.  At
least, if TurboGears wants that, or even moreso if it can use that
category in some automated way (e.g., list all the public widget
plugins) then the cheeseshop should accomodate that.

I also agree it should be flatish, i.e., Zope2/Zope3/ZopeFive can all
just be separate, as could Plone for instance.  I actually had thought
"Framework :: Zope2" would be good, and kind of marks it as something
particular to cheeseshop (and thus to Python).  "Topic :: Internet ::
WWW/HTTP" is the antithesis of good categorization IMHO ;)

--
Ian Bicking  |  ianb at colorstudy.com  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org