[Catalog-sig] PyCon sprint for PEPs 314 and 243?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Jan 16 01:23:22 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 08:28:35PM +1100, Richard Jones wrote:
>Without looking into it too closely, it seems like yum is closely tied to RPMs
>and their associated package databases.

I would suspect that the code for handling mirror lists and downloading of
files is not at all tied to the RPM file format.  That code has had
something like a year of development on it, and probably can be used with
few changes.

There are 3 different downloaded file types: RPM packages, RPM headers, and
the repository information.  The repository information would probably
require some tweeks, and the RPM packages and headers would need to be
replaced with something else.  Unless we were to decide to use RPM as the
package format.  Which is probably also not a bad idea.

>Also, I'm not sure I want to try to solve dependencies.

I'm not sure you have a choice not to.  I'm also not sure it's as hard a
problem as some people seem to think.  Red Hat and Debian have fairly good
solutions to this problem with years and years of thought behind them.

Sean
--
 Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves.
                 -- J. B. Priestley