[Catalog-sig] Re: Distutils sprinting at PyCon

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jan 31 22:11:59 CET 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> The idea is that the download URL in PyPI and elsewhere would then be
> the download URL for a file that describes currently available versions
> of the package.

One thing I was hoping would be possible is mirroring, which means
replacing download URLs with other URLs.  If all the URLs are contained
in a single file managed outside of PyPI, then it's hard to build a
service on top of it (unless PyPI fetched the file and used that
information to recreate a file that included mirrors, but that seems to
defeat the purpose of an extra file).  Also, it's one more file to
manage; it's reasonable to manage files in your package -- either
setup.py or an auxilliary file, but managing those files online is
harder.  Some people already seem overwhelmed with the system as it is
-- and I don't know if there's anything to do about that, since it
really doesn't seem that hard and maybe some people are just being a
little whiney, but the sentiment does exist.