[Catalog-sig] Re: Distutils sprinting at PyCon

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Jan 31 21:55:05 CET 2005

On Jan 31, 2005, at 15:40, Richard Jones wrote:

> [this is a response to a comment PJE left in my weblog]
>
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 03:56 am, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>> we're working on ...
>> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs
>> This format would obsolete PEP 262, since removing a package will be a
>> matter of just deleting its .egg file.  It affects PEP 314 too,
>> because
>> "download URL" doesn't allow for platform-specific binary
>> distribution like
>> .egg files, and because better platform information is needed.
>
> I'm not sure that having download URLs for *every* download format is
> *sane*
> for having in the PKG-INFO. I think that the only purpose for the
> download-url field in PKG-INFO is for the download of *the package
> that the
> PKG-INFO resides in*. The current bdist commands don't modify PKG-INFO
> though, which shoots this idea down pretty quickly (the platform
> information
> would need to be changed also). There may be some crossover with
> EGG-INFO, I
> don't know.
>
> How to then handle a collection of download URLs is another problem.
> It could
> partly be solved by an online repository of the sort I'm planning on
> implementing.
>
> This problem has had a lot of hand-waving up until now ;)

Beyond what's on that wiki page, we did have a discussion about how the
downloading and metadata might work on the #peak IRC channel:
http://peak.telecommunity.com/irc-logs/2005-01-27.txt (there wasn't a
whole lot else discussed that day).

There have also been discussions on the 28th and 31st (today) about
eggs, but the only discussion relevant to online meta-data,
dependencies, and package downloading happened on the 27th.

-bob