[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] PyPI upload doesn't support eggs?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jun 27 23:16:20 CEST 2005

At 11:05 PM 6/27/2005 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > I just tried doing the upload via the web interface, and got the same
> > error.  It appears that PyPI doesn't support uploading eggs, which is
> > surprising because I could've sworn that the sprinters at PyCon said they
> > were putting eggs on the list of allowed filetypes.
>
>I'm not sure whom specifically you are referring to - I personally
>don't recall saying such a thing.

I think it was Richard Jones who said he was including .egg on the list.  I
gave him some additional info about the format (e.g. that eggs include an
EGG-INFO/PKG-INFO file), but he said he didn't think it was worth bothering
with checking beyond the filename for .egg.  (I mention this only to
highlight the point that we did talk for a minute or so on the subject, not
to get into the subject of the .egg format's internal layout.)

Anyway, I got the impression from what was said that he was actually
literally implementing the filetype check as we spoke about it, which is
why I was surprised to find it's not actually in there.