[Catalog-sig] Table of Python Packages, updated

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Mar 30 03:23:18 CEST 2005

On Mar 29, 2005, at 8:15 PM, Stephen Waterbury wrote:

> Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>> PyPI is just too anonymous and is also too easy to confuse with
>>> PyPy. I've never been particularly happy with the name.
>>>
>>> So, any suggestions for a new name?
>> "Cheese Shop" came to me late at night over the weekend.  I know it
>> sucks, but it's Pythonic. :)  ...
>
> I like it!  So if a package happens to be missing from the
> catalog, the catalog maintainer can always claim the cat ate it.  ;)

Something a little more "professional" might be nice for some people..
though personally I don't have that constraint, I've seen a lot of
people whine about such things on lists.

The only two things that bother me about PyPI are the non-obvious
pronunciation (I also had no clue that WSGI sounded like "whiskey"
either, until I heard PJE talk about it) and the fact that "I" and "l"
look so similar in most fonts (esp. those you'd see in a web browser).

versiontracker.com is a popular site to find Mac OS X software, and
pythontracker.* seems to be available (though the name is a bit long,
and such a derivative name is a cop out).

Something with eggs might make sense once PJE and I wrap up bdist_egg
and friends, though that would be for binaries :)  Unfortunately,
SpamAndEggs.* are taken.

-bob