[Catalog-sig] Policies for packages where the author is unavailable

Ben Bangert ben at groovie.org
Thu Oct 13 21:07:04 CEST 2005

Several packages out there, including Python Paste, and several I'm
working on have dependencies on a Python package called WSGI Utils.
Unfortunately WSGI Utils is not packaged for setuptools and the
Cheese Shop, nor have I been able to contact the author about having
it added. The name also needs to be changed to WSGIUtils as the space
appears to cause problems.

What is the policy for having packages adapted to setuptools, and put
on Cheese Shop in absence of official registration from the package
author?

In the case of WSGI Utils, the license appears to be a BSD license so
I see no license restrictions preventing the redistribution from
Cheese Shop. It would be nice if there was some policy in place for
people to be 'maintainers' of a CheeseShop package in the case the
author is either not interested or unavailable to do this themself.

Thanks,
Ben