[Catalog-sig] RfE: Allow users to upload eggs they did not build themselves

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Oct 29 03:18:23 CEST 2005

See the distutils-sig at python.org instead.

>I'm just starting with eggs and all the fancy new stuff, and I had
>somebody build a MacOS X egg for me, which I tried to upload to PyPI.
>
>Unfortunately, setuptools did not support that out of the box, and I had
>to hack a new distutils command that did that, just copying setuptools
>upload command and modifying it.
>
>This has now led to this entry in PyPI:
>http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/pysqlite/2.0.6
>
>Python Egg      2.4     built on Linux-2.6.12-9-k7-i686-with-glibc2.3
>pysqlite-2.0.5-py2.4-macosx-10.4-ppc.egg  (md5, sig)    89KB    0

Um, a macosx egg built on Linux?  :)

Really, if you need to upload a file manually like this, I would suggest
using the PyPI web interface and just uploading it by hand.  You can go to
your file management URL from the package, and from there you can delete
the file and then re-upload it, perhaps inserting a more appropriate
comment about the build platform.  :)