[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] setuptools or PyPI problem...?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Sep 23 17:40:57 CEST 2005

At 01:37 PM 9/23/2005 +1000, Richard Jones wrote:
>On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 01:32 pm, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > I'd like to encourage moving towards mangling the *keys* themselves, in
> > order to be robust in the face of typos.  I think allowing random
> > punctuation and upper/lower case to distinguish projects (e.g. allowing
> > SQLObject, sqlobject, and SQLobject to be different packages) is asking for
> > trouble on the human side of things, entirely aside from allowing them in
> > filenames, dealing with case-insensitive filesystems, and so on.  Having a
> > nice human readable name for the web page, PKG-INFO, and description are
> > one thing, but having it used for filenames, URLs, and database keys is
> > quite another.
>
>I believe what you're proposing would require changing Python itself so it
>enforces restrictions on package names (ie. all lower-case, very limited
>punctuation, no whitespace). I think that's a good idea, but I also think at
>this point that the cat's out of the bag :(

Python doesn't let you use spaces and arbitrary punctuation in package
names, so perhaps I've misunderstood you.

Also, just in case you've misunderstood me, I'm referring above to
*project* names, not package names.  For example, PEAK has its project name
registered as PEAK on PyPI, but its Python package name (that you actually
import) is 'peak'.  I'm referring above only to project names, not package
names.