[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] setuptools or PyPI problem...?

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 05:40:21 CEST 2005

On 9/23/05, Richard Jones <richardjones at optushome.com.au> wrote:
> Distutils metadata capture is implemented in the Python core. We would want to
> implement any name restrictions there, surely? Otherwise people only get an
> error when attempting to use setuptools or register with PyPI, which would be
> just annoying.

The use of distutils should not imply the use of PyPI.  Perhaps we'd
want distutils to issue a warning when building a distribution if the
naming conventions weren't acceptable, but that's the most we'd want.
That should be something that could easily be turned off for a site or
an individual.

  -Fred

Zope Corporation