[Catalog-sig] Recent UI changes on PyPI

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jul 20 04:00:03 CEST 2006

No, don't worry, this isn't about problems with EasyInstall.  :)

I just noticed that most of the package metadata has been moved to the
bottom, below the long description.  However, this makes it harder to tell
at a glance who's responsible for the package, what license it has, etc.,
if the long description is more than a paragraph or two.  Most of my
packages include a slice of their release notes in the long description,
usually bumping the total page size such that the other metadata no longer
appears on the first screenful.

I don't think this is a good thing, as it seems to create an impression
that the package's description is being provided by the Cheese Shop.  That
is, that the Cheese Shop is somehow *responsible* for the package.  Putting
the author, home page, and so on at the top previously provided a strong
hint that the description was just part of a bunch of data supplied by the
package author, and not an article or review being written by the
maintainers of the CheeseShop itself.

As you might guess from this, I think the change is bad and at least the
metadata should be put back to the top, although I do not know what the
original reason for making this change was.  I don't think it makes a
difference whether the files go at the top or the bottom, but the metadata
*really* belongs up-top, and the description fields should probably be
prefixed with something like "Package Description" to help hint that this
is author-supplied info.