[Catalog-sig] FYI: UI change also broke EasyInstall MD5 checks :(

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jul 21 05:15:53 CEST 2006

At 10:16 AM 7/21/2006 +1000, Richard Jones wrote:
>On Thursday 20 July 2006 13:54, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > Seriously, if browsers had a problem with downloads that have trailing junk
> > on their URLs, then a whole lot of SourceForge projects, porn sites, and
> > other dynamic downloading applications would be quite seriously out of
> > luck.  :)
>
>Is there really prior art for this? Sourceforge doesn't do this, AFAIK.

I'm referring to query strings, actually, with respect to prior art.

A few minutes experimentation shows that the following browsers work just
fine with #md5 links:

* Mozilla 1.7
* Firefox 1.0
* Internet Explorer 6
* Lynx 2.8
* Opera 8.5.4

I think that's a pretty good indication that most web browsers know how to
handle URI fragment identifiers in compliance with the RFCs.  :)  I would
be surprised if there are any other browsers in substantial use on PyPI,
with the exception of Safari.