[Catalog-sig] Adding trove categories

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Thu Mar 2 06:59:16 CET 2006

On Thursday 02 March 2006 07:22, Ian Bicking wrote:
> We want to add Cheese Shop categories for frameworks, so people can
> register things.
>
> These are the ones we (Kevin and I) would like:
>
> Framework :: Paste
> Framework :: TurboGears
> Framework :: TurboGears :: Widgets
> Framework :: TruboGears :: Applications
> Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: WSGI
> Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: WSGI :: Application
> Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: WSGI :: Server
> Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: WSGI :: Middleware

Hurm. At the moment there's no top-level "Framework" grouping in the Trove
stuff. I'm not sure what will happen if one is added. I (or someone else who
possibly has more time) will need to test things out to make sure it won't
fall about laughing.

> That's just the ones we want, and we have packages that could go in
> there right now.  I'm not that happy about putting WSGI under Topic ::
> ..., but it's not really a "Framework" either.  Though putting it under
> framework would be okay too.

Er, I assume that means you'd prefer it to be under Topic, or do you not care.
I'd prefer that you make the call, to be honest.

Would "Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Framework :: ..." be too cubmersome?

Currently under "WWW/HTTP" we have:

 Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Browsers
 Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content
 Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: CGI Tools/Libraries
 Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: Message Boards
 Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: News/Diary
 Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Dynamic Content :: Page Counters
 Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: HTTP Servers
 Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Indexing/Search
 Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management
 Topic :: Internet :: WWW/HTTP :: Site Management :: Link Checking

Consider browsing - I'd think that people are more likely to go into the
WWW/HTTP topic to discover web stuff than a separate top-level Framework
grouping.

     Richard